By Ellen Boccuzzi
In Thailand, migrant writers have documented the social and cultural affects of 50 years of rural‐urban migration via thousands of reports, poems, and novels. Bangkok sure is the 1st e-book to check this physique of literature and the messages that Thai migrant writers exhibit approximately their stories. those tales powerfully describe the ways that migrants who go away their houses sure for Bangkok are quick absolute to Bangkok during the transformative strength of recent urban existence. and so they exhibit the ways that those that stay at the back of within the village are reworked, too, as they fight to take care of a rural lifestyle in a swiftly urbanizing world.
Bangkok sure could be of curiosity to somebody engaged on migration or urbanization, in addition to to students of Thailand and Thai literature. experts in migration will locate it a welcome boost to the growing to be box of migration reports via exam of narrative fiction.
• necessary for an introductory direction on Thai or Southeast Asian reviews; bargains a springboard for conversations on improvement, rural‐urban inequality, migration, and the affects of quick urbanization in Asia
• First ebook to check the subject of migration in Thai literature, an important modern genre
• Contributes to the starting to be box of migration stories via exam of narrative fiction
• presents a window into how migration and urbanization are skilled on the own level
• Of curiosity to migration students in addition to students of Thailand, Thai cultural reports, and Thai literature
About the author
Ellen Boccuzzi is a international provider Officer with USAID. She focuses on migration, urbanization, and foreign improvement, and has labored with UN organisations, non‐governmental businesses, and universities in Thailand and the USA. She holds a PhD in South and Southeast Asian stories from the college of California, Berkeley.
Read or Download Bangkok Bound PDF
Best emigration & immigration books
The Irish Potato Famine brought on the migration of greater than million people who sought shelter within the usa and Canada. not like earlier stories, that have tended to target just one vacation spot, this assortment permits readers to guage the adventure of transatlantic Famine refugees in a comparative context.
As different young people lower back domestic from college, thirteen-year-old José Silva headed for paintings at a cafe, the place he could stay till 2:00 a. m. Francisca Herrera, a tomato picker, was once uncovered to insecticides whereas she used to be pregnant and gave beginning to a toddler with out hands or legs. Silva and Herrera immigrated illegally to the us, and their reviews are faraway from exact.
Among 2000 and 2010, Singapore witnessed an incredible inflow of overseas migrants. the percentage of everlasting citizens within the overall inhabitants elevated from 7% to 11%, whereas the percentage of non-resident foreigners has risen from 19% to 25%. This was once as a lot the results of the spontaneous stream of labour to financial possibilities, because it used to be of lively coverage course via the Singapore govt.
In summer time 2014, a surge of unaccompanied baby migrants from primary the USA to the U.S. received mainstream visibility—yet migration from relevant the United States has been occurring for many years. U. S. crucial americans explores the shared but distinct reviews, histories, and cultures of one. 5-and second-generation principal american citizens within the usa.
- Frenchmen into Peasants: Modernity and Tradition in the Peopling of French Canada (Harvard Historical Studies)
- The Changing Face of World Cities: Young Adult Children of Immigrants in Europe and the United States
- Divided by Borders: Mexican Migrants and Their Children
- Médiation télévisuelle et représentation de la diversité (Communication et Civilisation) (French Edition)
- Race, Gender, and Citizenship in the African Diaspora: Travelling Blackness (Routledge Transformations in Race and Media)
Extra info for Bangkok Bound
Bangkok Bound by Ellen Boccuzzi